Are you nearly ready to sit the Occupational English Test?
This course is suitable for overseas qualified health professionals who already have an intermediate level of English. Intermediate level is considered OET C level or IELTS 5 to 6. Previous OET or IELTS experience is NOT necessary. The OET targets the health professional workplace and is designed by health professionals and language experts to replicate this environment. A pass in the OET can be seen to be a benefit for future employment for health professionals.
OET test dates are scheduled each month. For test dates please refer to the official OET website. We set our OET preparation course dates to finish just before a scheduled OET exam date.
To test your current skill level you can test yourself with the OET Sample Test materials at the official OET website.
Why do the HEAL course?
- HEAL is a highly regarded, not-for-profit organisation with over 25 years’ experience working with overseas trained health professionals
- HEAL, under its former name of VMPF, has existed since 1920 and has been associated with quality education since that time
- Our qualified OET teacher has more than 20 years' experience working with international health professionals, including teaching and examining OET
- Training is in a convenient, central city location
- You receive individual feedback
- We offer the opportunity to maximise class time by completing Reading and Listening practice tests at home with discussion, analysis and feedback in class
- We offer access to online learning resources and forums which are additional to your in-class time
OET for International Health Professionals
OET tests international health practitioners in the following 12 professions:
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Pathology
- Veterinary Science
What will you learn?
Classes cover all four sub-tests assessed in the OET: Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking. You will learn:
- strategies to maximise passing your test
- techniques to be 'exam-ready'
- appropriate formality and vocabulary
- time management strategies to ensure you finish the test
- methods for comprehending accents
- Australian cultural practices imbedded within test
Mr Paul Conroy is a native speaker of English. Paul is a highly qualified English language teacher (Cert TEFLA, Cert IV in Training and Assessment, Bachelor of Arts [Professional Writing and Editing] Deakin University, Graduate Diploma of Secondary Education Monash University, Master of Arts / Applied Linguistics University of Melbourne).
Moreover, Paul has been teaching for 25 years. For 18 of those years he has taught OET preparation courses in the classroom and online at Victoria University, Melbourne. He was also an OET examiner for 16 years. His other teaching since 2004 has been with overseas-trained doctors / international medical graduates at HEAL preparing doctors in language and communication skills for the Australian Medical Council Clinical Examination. In-keeping with HEAL’s principles of “dedication, depth and engagement” Paul is a teacher who works hard to provide a hands-on, practical learning experience to give you the best possible chance of success in the OET.
In class time
- Delivered over 4 Fridays.
- Six contact (in class) hours per day (24 total in class hours)
- Additional time using our e-learning system to undertake activities before your next class
- On-line activities outside of class add to your overall learning opportunity
OET Student Testimonials
This is Taki. I just want to thank you for all your help during the OET preparation course. I achieved the marks required by AHPRA, the first time I took the exam. I am sure that my success had to do with the best preparation provided by you during the course..
Thank you again,
Panagiotis (Taki) Thanopoulos (Radiographer). May 2016.
Before I went to Paul, I lacked confidence taking the OET , as I did not score well in my IELTS. Therefore I was looking for an experienced language coaching centre for my OET preparation course. I had made some attentive comparisons, in terms of price, experience, testimonials and even the location of the centres, finally I chose HEAL. I am truly satisfied with my decision because I scored all Bs for my first OET so that I can proceed with my registration. Paul is a very kind teacher and he has very good experience in OET coaching. He gave us so much guidance and advice to pass all four sessions, especially in reading and writing which had bothered me the most. He has so much patience and provides endless encouragement. I could not recommend him and thank him enough for what he has done. In addition, the online learning resources are pretty useful for the preparation as well. If you are looking for an OET preparation course, look no further, I would highly recommend HEAL to you.
Puay Teng Koh (Radiographer). June 2016
Register your interest
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the International Medical Graduates team on +61 3 9642 3450.